I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 7 November 2009

The Electric Picture Shop


We haven't had a shop photo for a while on Saltaire Daily Photo, so here is one of my favourites. I don't know how long this shop has been on Saltaire Road, and I've never been in it. (I often wonder if the shopkeeper is preserved in cobwebs somewhere inside.) I can't imagine they do a very good trade these days - they don't look to be exactly ready for the digital switchover! It reminds me that there was once a time (and not so long ago really) when an 'electric picture' was something novel that we didn't just take for granted. (As a teenager, I used to go across the road to my neighbour's house to watch 'The Frost Report', which became a bit of a cult programme. We felt deprived, as we didn't have BBC2!)

It is this kind of quirky little shop that eventually gets lost and we lose much more than just a little corner shop. We are losing a whole tradition of local people serving the local community; people who would know your name and, in many cases, go the extra mile to assist and give a good service. I love it - I want it to be preserved as a museum.


8 comments:

  1. I agree with you entirely Jenny. But sadly these icons of our past culture are sadly disapperaing at an alarming rate, just like the traditional public house. Very sad but true. In my own opinion all progress is not relevant nor good. So good for you for documenting where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. recycling... maravillosos cuidar los antiguos aparatos

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful dinosaur of a shop... 'Now where did I put that soldering iron...?'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quaint and curious! It's a lovely scene, jennyfreckles and likewise, I hope such places continue to exist ~ they add such character, history and charm. {PS: Thank you for popping by!}

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to watch the Frost Report. And now I have access to hundreds upon hundreds of channels .... but strangely enough there is nothing as good as the Frost Report available. Nice shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corner shops, they don't really exist anymore, this makes me think of Ronnie Barker and 'Open all Hours'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great old shop and friendly service

    ReplyDelete
  8. This shop is brilliant and somewhere I used to marvel over as a child into all things electronic.

    However, your comments about the digital switchover are a little wide of the mark. The chap repairs LCD TVs and probably does a good trade on that due to supermarkets selling cheap televisions with rubbish power supplies.

    I hope he keeps going, it's great to see and a good way of keeping electronic equipment out of landfill

    ReplyDelete