Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Saltaire, the Railway Station 1909

This a quite a famous photograph from the Francis Frith collection, showing Saltaire station in the early 1900s. The existence of the railway, alongside the canal and river, was one reason why Titus Salt chose to build Saltaire in this location. Opened in 1856 by the Midland railway, the station thrived until it was felled by the Beeching Axe (the large-scale closure of many of Britain's rail-lines) on March 20 1965. After the rail line was closed, the station fell into disrepair and the buildings were demolished.

Originally, the station was rather attractive, with its Victorian ticket office and waiting rooms against the backdrop of Salts Mill and its chimney - and, of course, a steam train chugging its way into the station. I think there must have been a footbridge over the line, from where this photograph was taken. The bridge in the background is the Victoria Road bridge.


5 comments:

  1. On my few visits to Saltaire I've found it a unique and interesting place.

    Well done on your excellent blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny,

    I would like to see this in reality. Saltaire seems to be a place to visit.

    Best regards
    Asta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asta - if you ever come to UK, let me know! I'll show you round Saltaire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my 'must do' list after seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

No WV here but I've enabled comment moderation on older posts so I don't miss any of your messages. I love reading them - thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog.