I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 6 December 2010

Christmas pud?


I spotted these balled topiary box trees in the city centre - with a dusting of snow on top, they reminded me of traditional Christmas puddings.  I have one of these (tree, not pudding!) in my back yard, but it long ago ceased to be perfectly spherical.  The red box behind them is a small modern mail box, outside the National Media Museum.  I suppose it's handy for tourists to post their postcards: "Just visited Bradford's National Media Museum... it's great! Really interesting..."

When I'm in Bradford I usually try to find time to visit the Media Museum.  I consider myself very lucky that, of all the national museums, Bradford has the one in which I'm most interested - Film, Photography and TV.  This time I saw an exhibition: 'Land revisited' by Fay Godwin (1931-2005), one of Britain's greatest landscape photographers.  Do click the link to see some of her incredible black and white images.  The exhibition is well worth a visit if you're in the area - if not, explore the website, as there's some interesting stuff on there, including photos and some biographical material about Fay Godwin.

8 comments:

  1. That looks so super stylish! I love that museum. I also used to love (i think it was ) Waterstones in the old Wool exchange. Is it still there? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They just need a cherry on top

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, the dusting of snow gives the trees a very holiday look.

    That museum sounds quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very appealing view of a simple scene. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the repetition of the little shrubs, and also the spot of red in the photo. It's beautiful.

    Where you live is different than where we live, as you said. One thing is that Wisconsin and England have roughly the same land area, but England has 10x the population. We also have a severe shortage of castle and abbey ruins, stone walls, and hedge rows. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are our favourite museums too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What elegant topiary boxes! Will go take a peak at the "Land Revisited" now... after I see the rest of your week's posts... Where do the weeks go!? :-D

    ReplyDelete