I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 22 December 2010

Fifth Advent Window


"On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: Five go-old rings!"

Well... we won't tell them that the old traditional folk song refers to the twelve days after Christmas, from Christmas to Epiphany, not Advent.  Nevertheless, the fifth window that was unveiled in Saltaire's 'Living Advent Calendar' has this simple but attractive design of five gold rings, an angel and little sparkling white lights.  It is one of the few windows (in my opinion) that look equally attractive by day as by night.  It can be seen at 1 Lockwood Street. (Most of the streets in Saltaire are named after members of Sir Titus Salt's family, but Lockwood Street and its neighbour Mawson Street honour the architects who designed Saltaire in the 19th century.)

I may yet feature a few more of these decorated windows (though I need to get out and photograph some first - and it's really too cold at night to venture out with my precious camera).  If you want to see them all on one page, then do look at the dedicated webpage.

15 comments:

  1. That's another lovely window. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the geese! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just went to look at the dedicated page. What a lovely idea! So glad you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Saltaire was the home of a David Hockney Gallery. He now lives in Bridlington,(where I went to High School) and I know his brother quite well, who lives very close to where I grew up. I hope you will feature more of these windows. I love news from Yorkshire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the problem with taking on aproject, how to keep it going, but I agree on the cold, my perfect excuse for using old photos at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took a peek at the webpage. I love the snow scene at Vicar's Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks fun although my maiden is Partridge!!!

    I've started another blog with the intention of posting one bible verse a day - I would be most grateful if you popped over and told me what you thought..www.nogimmicksrequired.blogspot.com

    Take care, off to my father-in-law's today to meet up with the rest of the family to swap presents!! Judyx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just looked at the website. The local people have done a super job. It is such a good idea. Thanks for telling us about this tradition. Don't go out in the cold night, you keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the little lights behind the curtain..very sweet and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the best decorated window I've seen this season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've also looked at the official webpage, Jenny. Some amazingly creative people living in Saltaire.
    It's such a wonderful tradition and it's been such a privileged being able to be part of it all, thanks to you!

    I don't know how anyone feels brave enough to venture out in the temperatures you've been experiencing these past few days! I'd want to remain snuggled deep within my duvet all day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, this one sure meets my criteria and simple and elegant! Lovely. This is SUCH a nice community project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the simplicity of this display, along with the arch of the window and the beautiful backdrop of lights. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  14. simple-stylish-and sweet. I like it!:)

    ReplyDelete