I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 27 December 2010

Walking off the pudding


There were a few people out for a good, healthy walk after all that turkey and Christmas pud on Christmas Day.  This was the scene along the canal bank in Saltaire, approaching Hirst Lock.  The canal is frozen over in all but a few places where there is running water, such as the side channel by the lock. The ducks were very grateful for the patches of open water and had congregated there.  If you look carefully you can see someone standing on the ice - definitely not recommended!  There were also a number of big rocks strewn across the canal - stupid people thinking they might try to smash the ice, I suppose.  All that will happen is that, when the thaw, comes the rocks will sink and add to the debris in the canal, which has to be drained every so often to clear it out.

15 comments:

  1. Seems to be a great an popular idea to walk off the turkey unlike some of the other things you mention. It's a nice wintry scene and although it's not quite the same thing, it reminds me of walking from Leeds to Armley Mills and back with friends several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks a cold but picturesque walk - Nigel and I are off out later to visit his dad at his lady friend's flat in London. She has the most beautiful park opposite her, which I have yet to enjoy a walk around!! have a lovely day, Judyx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed you yesterday. I walked back along this stretch at the end of the afternoon and indeed my picture today is just along from here showing silly people walking on the frozen canal. Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice again. We did the same on Boxing Day, but our destination was a large frozen pond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feeling guilty, everyone seems to have been for walks .......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like a good walk to clear the head, firm the muscles and feed the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fish won't be very happy about all of the vibrations through the water either. I hope the ice held out for that man. It's a bit cold for a sudden, unexpected dip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is a great idea. It is very healthy and since a large group is participating, everyone has a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to go for a walk after a big eating.. French TV is speaking of England and snow again while I'm writing this, showing the snow and problems linked to it..It's gonna be a long winter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should have taken a walk . . . but I didn't. Too cold, too icy, too lazy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. What I did yesterday...but not today. :{

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photo! I'm hoping to get busy walking off Christmas and New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to walk!..and walk, and walk, and walk!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I can definitely relate to this! Pretty scene, but yes, that man needs to scoot off the ice! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks very pretty (and cold!).

    ReplyDelete