I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 28 May 2011

Allonby


In an effort to escape the rain clouds that tend to cleave to the Lake District's mountains (Seathwaite in Cumbria is the wettest place in England with an annual average rainfall of 124 inches / 3.15 m!), we travelled out west one day to Allonby on the nearby Solway coast.  It's officially classified as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty - and you can see why.  Looking north-west towards the Galloway hills of Scotland, seen in the distance, there are miles of sand and mud flats, grassy dunes and rocks.  The tide goes right out leaving the mud exposed and, in consequence, it is an area rich in birdlife.  When the tide comes in it does so in a rather unpredictable way, so one has to be rather careful not to get stranded.  There were blue skies and moody clouds, and all the lovely natural tones of the coast. (Taupe, grey, pale blue, pale green, white: these are 'my' colours and make me feel utterly serene.)  It was a lovely day for photography and a soothing day for my soul.

16 comments:

  1. Nice picture, you seem to visit nice places

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely one of the best photographs, you've posted. Absolutely brilliant.

    A few years ago, we rented a cottage in Castle Carrock. We, too, decided to head west, and found ourselves in Silloth on Solway. It's an extraordinary stretch of coastline to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often gazed in this direction from the Northern Lakeland fells and thought it looked inviting. Your photo confirms my feeling, lovely shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a poster above my desk, showing a kind of landscape like this.. How wonderful ! I understand so well your feeling of serenity. That's exactly what I feel in front of such a view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh there nothing quite like the serenity that wide open spaces can provide. That is a truly lovely spot you've captured. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will you please continue posting masterpieces like this if you don't mind? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an interesting landscape. Is that a lake between the wooden steps and the Scottish mountains in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a place! What a shot! It has such a desolate beauty. I can't figure if it makes me sad or happy. I agree with all of the previous commenters who are lauding today's photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know Andrew Wyeth's paintings? This photo reminds me of them....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outstanding Natural Beauty is an understatement! This place is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, even lovelier comments than usual. You are all so encouraging. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I agree with the Andrew Wyeth comparison. It's really too stunning to be a photograph. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely shot - so unlike my mental image of England! Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very serene and the colourings soft and subtle - I love the pale bleached wood - Think I'll take the track leading off to the left just a little way mind you in case the tide somes in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suspect those colors make you feel serene because they are the colors of nature. God chose nice colors for us to live among, didn't He. And right now our backyard is fragrant with lilac and apple blossoms. What blessing to live among color and beautiful fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this...reminds me of the great plains here in the states...one of my favorite places to visit!

    ReplyDelete