I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Holy Trinity Church, Skipton


Skipton's Holy Trinity Church stands in a prime position at the top of the High Street, just in front of the castle.  A church has stood on the site since the 1100s but the present church has been altered and repaired many times over the years.  It still moves with the times.  I had a very tasty lunch in the Refectory - homemade butternut squash and red pepper soup.  I have learned that where a local church serves meals or snacks it is well worth trying - usually very reasonably priced, excellent quality and served by friendly folk - with the bonus that their profits usually go to support the church or to charity.

14 comments:

  1. This church is absolutely beautyful! and so british to my eyes!Here, there are no lunches in churches; I thik they should think of it, places are often beautyful and it would surely attract people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very attractive building, set off by the beautiful blue sky and sunshine (could do with some more of that please!!)!

    I agree about churches offering food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great looking church. It looks very proud to be still serving the community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A grand old building, regardless of its "cosmetic surgery" - I especially like the windows.
    p.s. your new "seasonal" header is great too! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your churches are so substantial, no wonder they last a thousand years. Great shot, by the way. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had known about the church and the refectory when we were in Skipton. What a beautiful structure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do try to call in at Skipton often, but rarely manage it as the car parks are usually full. But the church is lovely, much more visually attractive than the castle it hides.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely church! And I've been catching up -- the beautiful bridge in the woods and your modern art reflections. I miss your pictures when I';m away and love to get back for another peek at your world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good old Aunty Florrie and Uncle Walter lived in Skipton. Long gone now though. Good to see photos from the old place... Thanks Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a church! Gosh, I just love the history, since 1100s! I love to imagine all the people through all that time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful! I love everything about it..the stone, the windows and the clock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful building and grounds.

    Sorry I've been gone, my blog disappeared while I was in New England. I've put up a new one here to keep up for now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that does sound like a tasty lunch and it would be fun to step inside and enjoy it in such a beautiful place. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  14. A handsome church worth repairing. Made cream of squash soup tonight... it may have been missing the red pepper. ;-)

    ReplyDelete