I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 18 November 2011

It's that time of year...


It's that time of year again, where the nights are drawing in and it's getting dark when I leave work around 5pm.  I can never decide if I like it or not.  I like the blue dusk sky and I like seeing lights twinkling.  It feels good when I finally reach the cosiness of home after a brisk and often chilly walk.  Right now it's light when I leave for work in the mornings but in a week or two it will be dark then as well and that's what I dislike - never being at home in the daylight, except for at the weekends.  Opportunities for photography become more limited too.  This year I must get out with my tripod and take some more night scenes...

What with dashing up and down to and from London several times recently, being a doting grandmother ;-)  I am a bit short on scenic pictures.  (I am of course building up quite a stock of baby photos!)  I actually took this photo earlier this year...  Now they are building an orthodontics factory on the wasteland where I stood to take the picture, so the whole terrain is changing.   The buildings you can see are the old Victoria Mills, now converted into apartments, and one of the new blocks they have also built on the complex. (Click label below for more photos of Victoria Mills).

7 comments:

  1. I don't even have to think about it; from now to March is just a dog-time; Can't wait for spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this time of the year;The days will get longer as soon as january, so we may consider that it's not so long to endure; And during those weeks, I like to enjoy home's joy, cosy comfort, preparing Xmas,the special autumn light, and all those pleasures that can't be found during other times of the year..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I to like this time of the year. The changing quality of the light, dusk especially always evokes a sense of wonderment within me, a feeling for the proximity of the gods, myths and legends of old . . it must be my Teutonic blood stirring . . .
    With regards your planning night-time photograph, may I suggest you Google/images and look up the paintings of Victorian, Yorkshire born artist John Atkinson Grimshaw. I think his paintings of moon-scapes and gas-lit Victorian city scapes could well inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sun sets here at 4.12pm You get another hour of daylight. Did you move your clocks back?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour of the sky in this photo. I had never realised that you are never home in daylight except weekends. I cannot imagine that. I can't think how awful to be leaving for work in the dark!!! The only time we are up before the sun is when we have to catch an early flight. Our days are only a little shorter in winter but on the other hand our summer days are only a little longer with very little twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have short days here all year round, it's pitch black by 6 or 6:30 pm, and yet they are not paired with that feeling of dank and cold I get on winter's days in the northern hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The daylight hours are so short this time of year here too! That's a beautiful capture of dusk. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete