I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 12 November 2011

Sepia Saturday tribute


For several years I have been delighting in the writings of Alan Burnett, another Yorkshire blogger, whose primary blog is 'News from Nowhere'.  I know I'm not the only one who thoroughly enjoys the eclectic, thought-provoking and amusing fare on offer there.  He also hosts 'Sepia Saturday' together with Kat Mortenson ('Poetikat's Invisible Keepsakes') - which provides an opportunity for bloggers to share their history through photographs.  I've much enjoyed reading the offerings but have never joined in.  Actually I don't have that many old photos and need to wait for retirement (ha!) to find time to scan those I do have.  However, as this weekend is the 100th Sepia Saturday and therefore something of a milestone worth celebrating, I have dug deep ....

Since grandparenting is ever on my mind these days, I am sharing this photo.  Dated February 1953, it was taken at the wedding of my maternal grandfather. (His smart three-piece suit and her real fur coat perhaps demonstrate that this was a very special occasion.)  Grandad's first wife, my mother's mother, sadly died in her early 50s, before I was born.  Some time later he married again, to his first wife's sister, my great aunt Alice.  The child in the photo is.... me!  (At just eight months old I was probably as chubby as I've ever been!)  So Grandad and Aunt Alice were my much-loved grandparents.  I have to say that Aunt Alice loved me as much, I am sure, as my 'real' grandmother would have done.  I remember happy times spent with them, pottering around their little terraced house or playing outside in their back garden.  Grandad had been a miner and suffered terribly from asthma and emphysema, so he couldn't run around much but nevertheless they found ways of amusing me as a child.  Aunt Alice had a pretty musical box, like a Swiss chalet, that played 'La Vie en Rose' when the roof was lifted - such a delight to be allowed to play with it.  I have so many good memories (of both sets of grandparents in fact) and count myself very blessed to have had the security of their love and attention.  Grandparent-grandchild is a special relationship.  I only hope I can be the same source of blessing to my new granddaughter, as I'm sure she will be to me.

32 comments:

  1. A very pleasing story Jenny! Now we know exactly how old you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice photo, and an even nicer memoir. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely story and piece of your history.I love old photos. and must check out your recommended blogs.
    Happy grand parenting. Unfortunately for me I left my grandparents in England when I was six and I never saw them again. Now my grandchild lives on the other side of the world. Must be payback time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful photo and story to go with it. I hope that some of my Grandchildren will have memories like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful recollection today, jennyfreckles. Isn't it a shame that they aren't here for you to tell them how special they were to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you definitely resemble your Aunt Alice. I never knew either of my grandfathers. One died before I was born and the other when I was a few months old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see bits of social history coming out of the cupboard; I was 8 then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so enjoyed this lovely peek into your family's history through this delightful photograph. How lucky you were to have known both sets of grandparents and to have such special memories of them. I have no doubt whatsoever that your precious granddaughter is going to be thoroughly loved and treasured by you. Your pride and joy has shone through since you first told us you were to become a grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely photograph and tribute, jennyfreckles. Perfect for Sepia Saturday, as I'm sure you are in your new role as grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenny .. your granddaughter will enjoy reading this and seeing her great great (enough?) grandparents .. really special at this time.

    Lovely to hear the update and see the historical news and tribute - have a peaceful weekend .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. You Were/Are A Bonny Yorkshire Lass!
    A Lovely Photo& Lovely Memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Jenny! I thought it must be you in the middle. So wonderful to see you joining in!
    What a fine pair they made; so dapper and look at those smiles!
    You were a cutie, and you're still a bonny lass!

    Please visit my new poetry blog,
    at wordpress if you get the chance.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes that baby is definitely you! I have some of me looking like that, (we are a similar age I think), and yes chubby too! Lovely picture and story. I hope you’ll come to Sepia Saturday again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a charming photograph, so evocative of the early 1950's, those post war years of austerity and yet at the same time an era of hope, a time when folk looked forward to a better, brighter future.
    The open joy evident your grandad and "auntie's" beautiful smiles reflect both the pride in their grandaughter and the certainty that things will be better for her, that she will grow up in "sunny uplands" of peace and prosperity . . . . which I suppose, in many ways our generation has.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the peek into your childhood and the memories of your grandfather and great aunt. Congratulations on becoming a grandmother. I hear it's grand. (I'm still waiting (and hoping) for a grandchild one of these years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad your Grandad was able to marry again. Aunt Alice looks warm and loving and they both look very happy in this photo. I bet they doted on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look so happy and you look so chubby.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a nice memory of your grandparents. And cute photo of you.
    Nancy javier

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so nice having photos of people long gone because even if we can no longer remember their touch we see that we touched them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you've joined us here on sepia saturday. Keep the photos coming - chubby or not.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful to have had such a good relationship with your grandparents. It adds a whole new dimension to life I think. I'm sure that you will be just as wonderful for your new granddaughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great photograph : that watch-chain, that woolen suit - but most of all that smile says so much about the backgrounds I guess we share. Thanks for joining us on this special weekend Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Jenny, What a nice photo... and such a heart walming, precious memory of your childfood. I should dig out some of my old family photo me too.
    Have a very relaxing good sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely photo, and weren't you cute! I'm sure your grandchildren will have the same wonderful relationship with you as you had with your grandparents. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your family resemblance is quite clear! Love the photo...

    ReplyDelete
  26. AA lovely tribute to grandparents! And I'm sure you'll be an excellent one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would not have guessed that she was not your grandmother, I see the resemblance in the cheeks even at your young self. A great photo; all three look very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for joining in and sharing your photograph and memories. I hope you'll find some more images to post in future Sepia Saturday editions.

    ReplyDelete
  29. They look so proud. You sure can see the family resemblance even if she's your great aunt and not your grandmother. But I guess you are all the same family after all. It sounds like they were a lot of fun!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  30. So glad you joined in on SS100! A thoroughly enjoyable story about your grandparents. Congratulations! I'm sure you will be an excellent grandparent.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful post Jenny! Wouldn't it be amazing to have the chance to know our Grandparents as adults. That is a precious picture of all of you. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete