I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 4 June 2012

Diamond girls


The Queen and I have little in common except a name - Elizabeth - and a diamond celebration this year. A lot of little girls born in 1952 were called Elizabeth, I think.  (It's my second name.)  I was almost a year old on Coronation Day (2 June 1953) and, judging by the photo, I had more of a capacity then to get into flag-waving mood than I do now!  I am trying... wearing blue jeans, a white T-shirt and a red jacket today, and I spent yesterday afternoon watching the Jubilee Pageant on the Thames in London, on TV.  Such a pity about the Great British weather, for everyone involved.  I would have felt a lot happier had the Queen sat down on her 'throne' on the barge, allowed someone to tuck her up in a blanket and wrapped her hands round a mug of hot tea, while she watched it all.  As it was, she stood and looked chilled the whole time, remarkable for a lady of 86 but, I felt, rather above and beyond the call of duty.  But then, she's made of sterner stuff than I... It was so cold and wet here in Yorkshire that I'm ashamed to say I had the gas fire on!

9 comments:

  1. I was in front of my tv all afternoon long too! I really like and admire your Queen;She's a model! The celebration was fabulous.
    (No need of gas , here, summer finally arrived.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hammered down here in Berkshire, heating on and rain all night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jenny! Long time since I commented last time... so glad to see you re doing fine in Yorkshire even with this cold Great British Weather... We sat also in front of (austrian) TV to watch the celebration, impressive view on the Thames. Yes I totaly agree with you, how she didn't sit down, anybody's guess...
    You were really cutie baby girl there, you still have the same expression in your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the heating on all day here in Sheffield!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the same I also was watching the Jubilee Pageant on the Thames and took pictures as if I was really there. I went for the first time in my life to the cinema with my grandma when I was 10 years old to see the coronation !

    ReplyDelete
  6. That hat must have protected her from the rain though. We even watched the celebration (some of it) over here. If it's any consolation, it's also cold and rainy in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We turned the heat up yesterday too - much better today - my wife settled to watch the pageant and promptly fell asleep - just watched the second half of the gala concert tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I loved watching the pageant from the warmth of my sofa ... with a nice warm coffee in hand. The Queen must have been frozen to the bone but she smiled and carried on ... She's a real trooper and isn't her skin beautiful. I guess with all the planning for the event it was unstoppable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw very little of the pageant, but the part I did see had me thinking the same way about the blanket and the tea.

    I thoroughly enjoyed the service at St Paul's though.

    ReplyDelete