I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Where the road runs out


Back in the centre of Saltaire at another bridge, though from this view you can't really see it's a bridge.  But this (with the Stables on the left) is where Victoria Road crosses the Leeds-Liverpool Canal.  At one time the road used to continue straight through where the sign now says New Mill, across the river and into Roberts Park.  But the cast iron river bridge was demolished in the 1950s and replaced with a footbridge.  I always like the view from here, with the patchwork of trees and then Hope Hill rising up behind.

6 comments:

  1. I like the way the road route to the view is cut off. It creates an interesting tension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely ambience, I enjoy seeing photos where town ends and rurality begins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be a faulty memory chip but I'm sure I can recall walking past the old bridge, which was long blocked off, as I crossed the footbridge on my way down to The Salt Grammar School on Coach Road at the start of the 1970s. Certainly on trips to Roberts Park up to the late 1960s, it was painted dark green and very rusty.

    But as I say,I might have a faulty memory chip...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That doesn't stop me loving the photograph; especially the way you have given us a teasing view of the retaining wall for the ramp that takes people down to the canal/boathouse/footbridge/river area. It gives you the "wonder where that goes?" feeling when you look at the picture =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hillside beyond provides a lovely setting.

    ReplyDelete