I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Music while you walk


One unexpected aspect of exploring both Dubrovnik and the more northerly city of Split in Croatia, was coming across groups of singers and musicians performing. The stone walls and floors and enclosed spaces of the old cities gave wonderful acoustics. I couldn't, of course, understand the words of the traditional Dalmatian songs they were singing but the harmonies they made were spine-tinglingly lovely, even to a deafened person like me. I bought a CD of the traditional klapa music I heard in Split. That music is a capella (without instruments) but this group of young musicians in Dubrovnik were terrific both as singers and instrumentalists.

8 comments:

  1. Nice! Live music is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will always be a place in my heart for all kinds of Eastern European music - which is just one reason why Mr Farage will not be getting my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennyfreckles, your fine eye for composition is showing here, once again. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Street music adds a lot to the memories we have of a place , it helps to remind the mood of the moment .Your shot is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a similar who in the same place a couple of years ago. Nice city, but so many tourists now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, the people in the scene add a lot to its interest. The musicians, of course, but the woman watching on the left and the man entering the arch, too. Imagine it without people and it is less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you are on tour...I'd love to visit this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete