I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 24 August 2014

YSP 2




Yorkshire Sculpture Park  These majestic sculptures are the work of Ursula Von Rydingsvard, an American artist who has been producing work for the open air since the late 1970s. This is her first large exhibition in Europe and consists of these huge outdoor pieces, plus some equally impressive pieces in the Gallery and a number of smaller works, sketches and memorabilia. Most of her work is made from cedar wood beams 4" square that are cut, meticulously assembled, shaped and coloured. The work - 'Bronze Bowl with Lace' - with the filigree top (photo lower left and also yesterday) is a 6m high bronze cast from a cedar wood piece, made especially for this exhibition. I really liked them all, they looked as if they were growing.

4 comments:

  1. They remind me of the wind-eroded rocks one finds in places on the moors of Northern England. I like 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny .. extraordinarily beautiful pieces - I love the idea of her concept and how they are put together ... and great that you can show us ... and see them here in the outdoors, as well as at the gallery ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love visiting the sculpture park...there's always something different to look at. I can't say that the works featured were my favourites on a recent visit though; they look like they're upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are quite unusual and I can imagine what they must look like in the park setting there!

    ReplyDelete