I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 21 September 2014

Heather tones



I do love the way the late summer heather gives the landscape a soft mauve tint, much as bluebells colourwash our woods in the spring. The heather uplands of Yorkshire stretch for miles, broken by valleys, woods, rocky outcrops and, in many places, tracts of bracken that compete with the heather. The heather seems to have bloomed fairly early this year. By the time I took my ramble (I like a Brontë moment every now and again) it was almost past its best, faded in many places from purple to a rather pretty shade that I'd describe as rose madder.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - stunning photos and countryside .. just beautiful. Have a lovely Sunday - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that top photo for the way the pale mauves seem to be echoed by the faintest purple tinge in the clouds. And a path leading off across the moors always tempts my footsteps onwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shots look like watercolour paintings. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These images are breathtaking, especially for a North American viewer for whom these are exotic. Rose madder? I didn't know the color so I appreciated the link to the paint company's website. You are always so informative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A year ago I was there! Thanks for bringing back the Yorkshire memories, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just love that! I wish I had heather all across my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all the comments above...I would love to see that too! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete