I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 18 November 2014

Spot the boat...


Love it or hate it, Are-Jay Bargie is here to stay and the milder weather has lengthened their trading season too. The ice-cream boat was given retrospective planning permission three years ago, having already traded from this mooring for two years on a British waterways permit. Councillors unanimously agreed that "well-maintained, single, 'traditional-style' trading boats should be allowed" at this spot, which is right in the heart of Saltaire, just in front of the church. I know many people find it very appealing and it perhaps brings visitors down to the canal. I was a bit surprised, however, to see how many 'add-ons' (sweet machines, menu boards and suchlike) have appeared lately - so that it gets a little difficult to spot the traditional boat underneath it all. Ho hum....

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - can see the reason for your "Ho Hum" ... rather gaudy ... I think the older version might have been more in keeping ... still it's attracting people ... you will see what happens - still it was a surprise to me to see it here .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you mean. Possibly a good idea, but be wary of the tacky factor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah yes...I see your point. I can't see the charm at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure - looks a bit out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks a bit like a cargo ship now!

    ReplyDelete