Sunday, 30 August 2015
Giggleswick village clusters around its church, a pub and a small shop that appeared mainly to sell sweets and ice-cream (presumably the fare that public school students prefer). Many of the houses in what seemed loosely to be the 'village centre' date back to the 17th century. The white house on the photo above has a date stone 1689 over the door. Like all villages, it has grown higgledy-piggledy. Around the church there is an historic pattern of narrow lanes, cottages and old agricultural buildings: stables, a forge and a farm, converted now into residences. Further out there were some attractive, larger Georgian looking properties, with more modern properties on the village perimeter, including some very smart, brand new 'executive detacheds', with more being built. With a rail station nearby, it is feasible to commute to Leeds, a journey time of just over an hour.