I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 7 December 2015

A little extra excitement...

Northern England had very heavy rain over the past weekend, 13.4 inches (341.4mm) in 24 hours. Many areas to the west of here, Carlisle and the Lake District in Cumbria in particular, have suffered appalling flooding and destruction, despite millions of £s being spent on flood defences in recent years. In fact two of the largest Lakes (Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite) actually became one, leaving much of the town of Keswick, which sits in between, under several feet of water. However, there has been a lighter side... You remember my picture of Malham Cove I posted a few weeks ago..? Well, for the first time in living memory it became a waterfall on Sunday. Normally the water disappears underground through limestone tunnels and caverns and comes out in a stream at the bottom of the rock but there was so much rain that the water overflowed over the top.  Click here to see some amazing photos and video.

5 comments:

  1. I watched the video and it is amazing! The flooding sounds awful though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a waterfall! Thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh, nasty. Weather seems upside down in so many places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow they are amazing scenes. We stayed in Keswick last time we were there. My condolences to all those affected by flood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny - I'd been to a geology class on Friday and we'd been shown the lakes area in quite a lot of detail ... and having spent time up there as a kid - I was aware of the topography. The rainfall has been frightening, while the flooding is just so sad ... difficult to comprehend - but I feel for everyone. Now I'm going across to look - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete