I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 17 December 2015

Electrifying...


A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that they had strung lights through the holly bushes at the bottom of Victoria Road in Saltaire. Ever since, I've been meaning to go back down there one night but the weather has been so wet and windy that I didn't want to take my camera out. One evening earlier this week the rain abated to a mere drizzle, so I ventured out. The sky was an eerie brown, the sodium street lights of the surrounding city combining with a low mist to create a very odd effect. Much to my surprise, the fairy lights are coloured when lit. The bulbs appear plain white in daylight. They add a little Christmas cheer to the scene at that end of the village. The block of Salts Mill immediately behind is the Information Centre, and was originally Sir Titus Salt's private rooms. I can imagine him standing at the window looking out at the marvellous electric lights... I wonder what he'd have thought of them?

4 comments:

  1. I rather like that blast of colour in the midst of almost sepia surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out beautifully, jennyfreckles. My own photos of colored lights usually end up murky. I must try some new camera settings.

    ReplyDelete