I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Fiery Fred


This statue of the cricketer, Fred Trueman (1931-2006), by the sculptor Graham Ibbeson, stands (somewhat incongruously I feel) in Skipton's canal basin. 'Fiery Fred', a fast bowler who played for Yorkshire and England in the 50s and 60s, was the first cricketer to take more than 300 wickets in test matches, so the statue aptly depicts him in the act of bowling. Yorkshire born and bred and living in the county for most of his life, he epitomised the blunt Yorkshireman - outspoken, curmudgeonly and yet often humorous. When his active cricketing career ceased, he became a summariser on Test Match Special on BBC radio, with the catchphrase: 'I don't know what's going off out there'.  He was a committed pipe smoker and died of lung cancer in 2006. He is buried in the graveyard at Bolton Abbey.

The statue is a powerful work but I have found it almost impossible to photograph well. I've tried many times but somehow the light rarely seems to strike it kindly.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - it is a brilliant statue isn't it ... and Trueman was a outstanding fast bowler ... used to strike fear into the Surrey side - my parents were keen followers when I was growing up - way back when! Also I think I agree the choice of site is a little odd - still he'll get plenty of visitors there ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very unusual in a sculpture to see the hair in a form of motion like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've taken a super shot here Jenny, I like the sun shining on the bronze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. There are some statues I have tried to photograph repeatedly, but without much success. I have been reading a book about portrait photography, and there are chapters about using fill light, and learning how to adjust the flash output to differing situations. When I figure it all out, I'll let you in on the secret.

    ReplyDelete