I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 22 March 2016

Thackley and Esholt 9


Heading back to the start point now. A steep hill down and then up again takes in one of the highest points on the walk, with a view over towards Apperley Bridge and Leeds (though it was a very hazy view on this particular day). Somewhere around here, the railway line (Leeds to Shipley) disappears into the Thackley tunnel and there are huge circular air shafts rising out of the ground to ventilate the tunnel. (Must have been interesting when there were steam trains...)


Even though it is right on the edge of an urban area, there are a few small farms dotted around. There seemed to be a lot of horses grazing in the fields so there must be an equestrian centre nearby.

Maybe this is a farm cat. He looked as though he'd been in a few scraps.



I hope you enjoyed the walk.  I recommend a leisurely soak in a hot bath now - and a glass of something refreshing.

I've been following Facebook posts from people who have signed up to walk 1000 miles in a year (an initiative started by a magazine called 'Country Walking') and I am amused and intrigued by how many words we have for 'a walk': hike, amble, yomp, saunter, bimble, daunder....

Once started, it seems people can get quite addicted to building up mileage and I am not sure I'd want to do that. There is so much to enjoy on a walk as well as the actual walking, if you know what I mean. I do, however, think I might get a Fitbit when I retire, as it might motivate me to walk a bit more, when I no longer have the enforced commute.

3 comments:

  1. Quite a grand view in that first shot. The cat looks like one who's been places and seen many things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of the farm, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love walking and I love your photos:)

    ReplyDelete