Thursday, 31 March 2016

Trotting


Ooh, I had to be quick to take this. I was just setting off for my regular lunchtime walk from work when I heard the sound of hooves on the tarmac.  Turning round, I saw a horse trotting at a fast pace up the hill, so I had to whip out my iPhone and take a very quick snap as it went past. This version is cropped a lot from the original as I didn't even have time to zoom in, so the image quality isn't great. Nevertheless it conveys the speed quite well, I feel. The horse has the diagonal gait of a fast trot and all four hooves off the ground at once! The little buggy it is pulling is the kind they use for harness-racing. The man's flat cap is a Yorkshire working class stereotype but something you don't see a lot these days. (They've been replaced by the ubiquitous baseball cap, I guess!) I never saw a sight like this on my walks around Salts Mill, so there are some compensations for working in a new but not quite so idyllic area.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - as a you say a unique sighting .. what fun - and congratulations on the photo .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have harness racing here, so that's the first thing I thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for grabbing the shot! My husband often wears one of those little flat caps -- in the cold weather. In summer it's back to the baseball cap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an unusual sighting. It looks like an 1890 image. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

No WV here but I've enabled comment moderation on older posts so I don't miss any of your messages. I love reading them - thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog.