I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 30 August 2017

Shakespeare's birthplace


I last visited Stratford upon Avon on a school trip - so that's a long time ago. I was delighted, therefore, to have chance to revisit during my holiday. Memory plays tricks but it seems a lot has changed. At one time you could enter Shakespeare's birthplace via the front door for a modest fee. Nowadays there is an entire 'Shakespeare experience' awaiting you, with costumed guides - for a goodly sum, of course. We didn't pay the sum, so I can't tell you about that.

The house on Henley Street, now in the middle of a pedestrianised shopping zone, is where it is believed that the famous playwright William Shakespeare was born in 1564 and spent his childhood years, one of eight children. It is a restored 16th century house, made of wattle and daub on a timber frame, relatively simple but nevertheless substantial. William's father, John, was a glove maker and wool merchant and it is thought the house was once divided to allow him to carry out his business from there. He became Mayor of Stratford and that status enabled William to attend the local grammar school to begin his education.

In common with most places that have any relationship with a famous person, Stratford trades heavily upon its Shakespeare connection. Even on a dull, drizzly day the town centre was full of (mostly foreign) tourists. It was interesting but wasn't quite as charming a place as I remember. I suppose the weather didn't help that. It remains a fascinating town, with some very old buildings, many half-timbered, that have thankfully been preserved.

6 comments:

  1. Massive tourism has really detracted from the appeal of a lot of places. I'm glad, for instance, I got to see Stonehenge when you could still walk among the stones and Venice when it wasn't so crowded with visitors. Of course I was a tourist myself, only adding to the problem. And most historic sites require pretty expensive maintenance so tourists are an asset . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good that this place has been restored but a shame how it has become a money making business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cartoon tells it all nowadays as historical places try to survive. I think at first its nice to see so many people, hear the different languages. After a while, as the languages remain wonderful, the crowds don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that everything becomes so commercialized these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd go to see the place, but I can see the dangers of a tourist trap when I see one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems that it has been Disney-icized.

    ReplyDelete