I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 23 September 2017

Kilnsey Show 2017


Another show, though this one is going back a couple of weeks. (I can't keep up with myself!)  I was delighted to tick off another item on my bucket list with a visit to the 120th Kilnsey Show. I've thought about going many times but it is always held on the Tuesday after August Bank Holiday Monday so I've always been at work until now. (Yay!) It's held in a gorgeous setting, in fields right under Kilnsey Crag, in my favourite of the Yorkshire Dales, Upper Wharfedale. It is a 'proper' agricultural show, reflecting the surrounding Dales rural life, farming, culture and crafts. There are trade stands for farmers and more livestock than at our local Bingley Show but plenty of general interest too and plenty to learn for a 'townie' like me. 


It's always interesting to see how they go about building a dry-stone wall, an ancient craft that is being nurtured in our limestone dales. There were trophies for those judged best Junior and Senior Dry Stone Walling Champions. 



It was lovely to see the shire horses too. Now they don't use them for farm work there are many fewer than there used to be; yet another piece of our history that enthusiasts are trying to preserve.

The morning of the show is taken up with horse riding and jumping in the main ring. I didn't see much of it but there were some beautiful horses around. The one below looks like it was dipped in chocolate! So pretty.



9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful setting, and great competitions! Can't wait to see more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend's brother who lives over there raised Shire horses but he recently sold them all -old age catching up with him. Interesting to see the wall building competition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great setting for such an event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the pictures
    Looks like a lovely event to attend

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so interesting seeing the different things. I especially like the horses and the wall building. I have seen PBS shows of these kind of events before. Your photos are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a handmade Swaledale pullover. It is quite gorgeous. Now I can see where the wool came from! I will certainly never be cold again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh it really looks a lovely rural show without the bling of town shows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its also great that they keep the old crafts alive and still keep the Shire horses.

    ReplyDelete