I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 29 October 2017

Bridgehead


My Grassington walk took me along the riverside to the handsome arched bridge across the River Wharfe. It carries the main road into the town. There's been a bridge here since the 1500s but the present structure dates to the 1820s when the bridge had to be widened and strengthened to accommodate the many pack-horses carrying lead down from the mines above the town.

I was intending to continue along the riverside beyond the bridge - until I realised the footpath was blocked by a herd of cows. They looked peaceful enough but I still didn't fancy trying to carve (calve?) a way through the implacable enemy forces at the bridgehead! I revised my route...


4 comments:

  1. A good idea not to disturb them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two lovely images. The bridge is organic . . . i.e., it looks like it grew there, more than was built there.

    ReplyDelete