I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 18 October 2017

Otley from the Chevin


I went walking with a friend around what is known as Otley Chevin, a ridge on the south side of Wharfedale, overlooking the market town of Otley. It's an attractive area of old woodland and heath with some lovely views over the valley. The artist J.M.W. Turner often stayed with friends near here and his famous painting: Snow Storm: Hannibal and his Army crossing the Alps is said to have been inspired by a stormy sky he sketched from The Chevin. You can certainly see the weather coming in from a long way away.

6 comments:

  1. Its a wonderful mixed woodland with lots of views. It also contains perhaps the longest staircase I've ever been on, up to the top from Station Rd, Otley. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wild sky certainly, though my thoughts wouldn't necessarily turn to elephants crossing the Alps. You'd need to have an imagination like JMWT for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scenery is familiar: as a boy I attended Prince Henry's Grammar School, Otley. It was not an experience I enjoyed. Post-war education was very different from nowadays. Physical punishment was rife. The cane and leather strap were regularly applied by the prefects e.g. for not wearing one's cap. Later I served for 9 years in the British Army and not once was a finger laid upon me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have captured a very special spot here.

    ReplyDelete