I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 24 November 2017

Lob Ghyll Viaduct


Addingham walk
My walking route descended the valley side, through fields of grazing sheep, who were not much interested in me. I then entered Lob Wood, where you unexpectedly come across this impressive viaduct. Built in 1888, it is now disused and getting overgrown but at one time it carried the Midland Railway from Ilkley to Skipton. The line closed as a result of the infamous Beeching cuts in 1965, though four miles of the line from Embsay to Bolton Abbey station were later reopened and now run as a volunteer-led heritage steam railway.

It was a bit hairy trying to negotiate the path underneath the viaduct. The banking seems gradually to be getting eroded and the drop is very steep. It was muddy and slippery and I started to wonder how long it would take for someone to find me if I fell!! Luckily, I safely gained a wider and flatter path on the other side. Phew. The perils of walking alone...


5 comments:

  1. You are very brave to be doing these walks on your own, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful structure, and in such a pretty setting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous...and makes for a beautiful photo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful discovery and pictures
    Please, have a GPS alert thing with you at all times, the kind you just press that goes to emergency services in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second photo, in particular, caught my attention. Walking alone? I do that all the time, but perhaps in less dangerous places, and women are perhaps a bit more vulnerable. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete