I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 5 June 2018

Who likes butter?


Here's a sight that makes my heart sing... buttercups. I've loved them since I was a small child, when we used to pick them and hold their gloriously vibrant, shiny little goblets under our chins. If there was a yellow reflection (and there always was!) we said we 'liked butter'! I am always cheered by the sight of a meadow sparkling with these beauties, under a summery blue sky. Apart from a bluebell wood, little is more quintessentially English, in my view.


7 comments:

  1. I was doing the "butter test" with my granddaughter only the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, though they're not so welcome if they establish themselves in your garden. I can't be the only one who has left them "because they're pretty" and found out later just how deep the roots go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quintessentially English: Buttercups, bluebells. Oh yes, parkin and conkers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that butter test!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have fields of yellow. Here in Florida in the spring, we have fields of pink and red. In our state of Texas, the place is overrun with bluebells. Mother Nature can bless us all over the world on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was little, I used to see buttercups a lot, but I don't recall seeing a field like this one in a long time. Odd.

    ReplyDelete