I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 19 July 2009

The Monument, City of London


I know this blog is supposed to be about Saltaire - and mostly it is - but I've been away much of this week having lovely holidays with friends, so for a few days my photos are covering more ground. (Anyway, it's been raining in Saltaire all week, so people tell me).

This lovely spiral is inside The Monument in the City of London. Designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Dr Robert Hooke, the Monument was completed in 1677 and commemorates the Great Fire of London, which started in a baker's shop in Pudding Lane on Sunday 2nd September 1666. The fire raged for five days and destroyed thousands of houses, 87 churches and St Paul's Cathedral and made an estimated 100,000 people homeless. Only the buildings constructed of stone, like the Guildhall, survived the inferno.

The monument, 61 metres high, is a great Doric column of Portland stone set on a plinth. There are 311 steps inside, leading to a viewing platform (and yes, I climbed them all!)


No comments:

Post a Comment