I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 19 December 2009

Snow!

The snow arrived on Thursday night. Love it or hate it, it's pretty. I always think Saltaire URC looks a bit like a wedding cake when it's snowy.

I was cooped up at work most of the day on Friday - but if the snow stays over this weekend, as seems likely, then I am looking forward to some crunchy walks and to taking lots of photos capturing how different everything looks. (I could stockpile a few years' worth of potential Christmas card illustrations).

The downside to the snow is the disruption even a small amount causes. I was supposed to be going out for a Christmas meal with workmates last night, but that was cancelled. This area is on the edge of the Pennines, so it's generally quite hilly. You can understand people not wanting to get stuck halfway up a lane on their way home from a night out. Though funnily enough, it's often the people who live lower down who don't make it into work. Those who live in the more remote parts are much better organised, with sturdy 4x4s and snow tyres. Personally, I find two feet in good boots work as well as anything in the snow (but then most of my life is conveniently organised into about one square mile in total, which can easily be walked).

4 comments:

  1. Wish it would stay on the postcards; caused all kinds of chaos on our road as the council don't grit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes snow is kind of photogenic. Keep up the excellent work. Can I take this opportunity to thank you for your support, and to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Take it easy, keep warm and safe.

    Regards

    Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture. Almost worth putting up with the snow to get shots like this. Almost - but as we have to go out tonight - not quite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the snow on the other side of the pennines isn't so thick but I'm glad I don't HAVE to go out for the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete