I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 31 July 2010

Half Moon Café

The Half Moon Café in Roberts Park, Saltaire is a welcome stopping-off place for a drink or a bite to eat, and has been doing a good trade in the pleasant weather we've had this summer. The building is an original Victorian pavilion, and has a statue of Sir Titus Salt on the upper level opposite the new bandstand. The café was run by Saltaire Cricket Club and for a long time was just open at weekends and for providing that long-standing English tradition of 'cricket teas' for the teams. (I have fond memories from my Nottinghamshire childhood of my mother and aunts in my grandma's kitchen, making vast amounts of sandwiches to take up to the cricket club where my uncles played in the local village team.) Since the renovation of Roberts Park, the café now opens every day, thanks to a number of hard-working volunteers.

If you're interested, there is a new video on YouTube all about Saltaire and specifically about the renovation of Roberts Park. It's very interesting - lasts about 10 minutes and has some fascinating old photos as well as contemporary footage. I don't know the person who made it, but it's worth a look.

11 comments:

  1. A beautiful place to visit and relax, have a coffee or a bite.
    Have a great weekend Jenny.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are having a good summer. It looks a nice place for a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The place is soo beautyful! and I like this name!It must be so delightful to have a cup of tea there..
    i'm leaving to run to see the video! Bye!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the menu for a proper cricket tea? What sorts of sandwiches? What else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sandwich and some tea will be fine.I will watch the video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely place, it would be very hard to not stop and have some tea and a biscuit. Well for me it would have to be a coke and a biscuit, I hate tea in any form. I probably just alienated 99% of the brits alive, but don't take it personally. I do love this photo of this very pleasant looking place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I get back to England I must come by your town, every picture is just so full of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely place to be, thanks for dropping by my page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vicki - I think cricket teas vary according to who makes them - and probably aren't the same these days. As a kid, I remember sandwiches - tinned salmon with salad cream (NOT mayonnaise)and cucumber; potted meat; ham; egg and cress. Always white bread! And sometimes fruit scones and jam, and cake - I used to like those called Battenburg... pink and yellow squares encased in marzipan! "Finger food" but not very healthy food at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed reading all your posts about the special architecture and features of the Half Moon Cafe. What a delightful place! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are very beautiful. I have been scrolling thru your pages :). I was also hoping to see something familiar but it has been a few years since I was in Yorkshire. I have forgotten when I went.... but enjoyed your pics a lot.

    ReplyDelete