Friday, 2 July 2010

Ilkley

There are some lovely - and interesting - places within easy reach of Saltaire, so this year I am going to 'travel around' a little more, to share some of these locations in words and pictures. I begin with Ilkley, considered by many to be the 'jewel in the crown' of this area.

Ilkley is a small spa town, in the valley of the River Wharfe, about nine or so miles
over the moors from Saltaire. There was a settlement (Olicana fort) here in Roman times. It became a fashionable spa town in the 19th century and has attracted a high proportion of older and affluent inhabitants. The 2001 census recorded 20% of the population as being retired.

In consequence there are some beautiful houses in the area. The shopping centre has some lovely Victorian buildings and a high number of small 'independent' shops. There is also a Michelin-starred restaurant, The Box Tree, where Marco Pierre White trained.

10 comments:

  1. I don't think I've been to Ilkley town centre, but I remember cycling through both Ilkley and Otley on the way to Kettlewell from Leeds. (I was a lot younger in those days!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite streets. I featured an Edwardian postcard view of the same spot earlier this year. Thanks for that link - I will follow it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cosy place! I'd like to have a cup of tea in that tea-room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't a tasteless comment about hatlessness on moorland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks a pretty town with modern shops. I remember my Mum singing a song about Ilkley Moor ba'tat ?? (spelling)??
    I'm looking forward to visiting some more towns with you. I'm doing Queensland towns at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spa town has such a lovely ring to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall say more about hats and moors later in this series!

    And yes, Malyss, you'd love the tea-rooms - more on that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this little street scene. It looks so peaceful. So often now days when you see a downtown street scene everyone is in a rush to get where they are going. This one shows everyone just enjoying being where they are. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The restaurant is tempting

    ReplyDelete

No WV here but I've enabled comment moderation on older posts so I don't miss any of your messages. I love reading them - thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog.