I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 10 November 2011

Tree hugs


"The wonder is that we can see these trees and not wonder more."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


A majestic old beech tree in Hirst Woods glows softly in the afternoon sunshine...  I love these woods in the spring, when the green leaves are fresh and hazy and there are swathes of bluebells, but I love it too in the autumn.  The sunlight slants gold through the canopy and underfoot the dry leaves and beech mast crunch with every step.  It thrills me to live within a fifteen minute walk of this patch of ancient woodland, so familiar and yet always new.  I can lose myself walking there, lose my petty preoccupations and concerns.  The power of trees to soothe and uplift is awesome.  Just like being hugged!

8 comments:

  1. It is a majestic tree and I know what you mean about the power of trees and the feeling that you're being hugged. But have you ever hugged a tree?
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous Oil on Canvas scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just stand in awe of the Mind that thought up a tree! It's beautiful, gives us shade in the hot summer and when grown as a crop, is there to provide wood for fires and building homes.(not to mention all the other uses like paper and toothpicks and pencils........) Amazing! Beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A majestic tree indeed,my favourite along with the Oak.
    Wishing you lots of hugs. I think it is so important to have places to go and BE! You have captured a great image! Thanks Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photo Jenny - can almost hear the rustling of the leaves under-foot I could loose myself there for hours . Delightful capture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A special place, filled with gold, just for you. We should all have a special place to walk and think and feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just like being hugged, indeed. How wonderful to have such a nurturing space so close to home.

    ReplyDelete