I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 2 May 2014

Pen-y-Ghent


Pen-y-Ghent (691m high) is one of the imposing Yorkshire 'Three Peaks', along with Whernside and Ingleborough, three huge fells encircling the Ribble valley in the Craven district of Yorkshire. They are known for the 'Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge' when people try to walk to the summit of all of the three in under 12 hours. Some run it, some cycle it too; the trail is circular and is usually started and finished at a café in Horton in Ribblesdale that keeps a register of those who have completed the circuit of 24.5 miles (39.2 km). The record for the Three Peaks Race is 2 hours 29 minutes 53 seconds, achieved in 1976 and not yet bettered. It's on the Pennine Way long-distance footpath too, as the marker post shows.

6 comments:

  1. I'd prefer to take all my time to enjoy every moment of discovering this wonderful place !

    ReplyDelete
  2. 24 miles is quite a distance, especially going up and down hills (or mountains). Many years ago, in my teens I used to go on walking holidays. 15 miles a day was really hoofing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as you might remember from a previous post I did, I'm with Malyss on this one. I can't really see the joy in fell-running either - but that might have something to do with being middle-aged and podgy. Love your photo, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been up there a few times but never had the inclination to do the Three Peaks in one go; they're worth a day each. Lovely photograph of an unmistakable mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect that the reason that the record has lasted so long is that the record holder drove a car for part of the way. A marathon is just a bit longer (26 miles) but less hilly, and the record in Boston is 2:03. Forgive my suspicious mind, but 2:29 to run three small mountains on a course just 1.5 miles shorter seems incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found out that the fell race route (as opposed to the route walkers generally take from the café) is 37.43 km, that's 23.25 miles, so not quite a marathon.

      Delete