Monday, 12 May 2014

Tantalising...


Time for another walk - very local, this one - through the ancient woodland known as Hirst Wood. Bounded on one side by the Leeds-Liverpool Canal and on the other by the railway line, it is not a huge area but it is a much-loved beauty spot, popular with dog-walkers. The trees are predominantly beech, birch and oak, growing on a moraine of gravel and boulders left by a retreating glacier 10000 years ago. But its treasure is the extensive carpet of bluebells that covers the woodland floor in May - just tantalising hint in this photo.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely. It's a wonderful time of year isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous place for a walk, indeed !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful scene that you have captured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I would love to walk here. We live in an area of Wisconsin called the Kettle Moraine...this looks like a more lush version of the land around me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very inviting path leading into an enchanted woodland. I particularly like the way that the budding leaves give the wood an impressionist air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The foliage here is very lush.

    ReplyDelete

No WV here but I've enabled comment moderation on older posts so I don't miss any of your messages. I love reading them - thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog.