I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 14 July 2014

A tranquil pursuit


Just beside the cricket field, this gentleman was having a quiet time fishing on the River Aire. Perhaps the choice of spot was an insurance policy if the fish didn't bite. He could always turn his chair round and watch the match. I've seen lots of people fishing (correction, men fishing. I don't think I have ever seen a woman.) But I've rarely seen anyone catch a fish. The other day when I walked along the canal, the water was really clear. It probably hadn't had a boat through for a while. They churn the mud up. There were lots of fish visible, some really large ones too. It's the first time I've ever actually seen them, though you do see ripples where they pop up sometimes and I did once glimpse the splash of one jumping.

5 comments:

  1. I think, that fishing is much like photographing. You hope the bring a nice catch home, but the process is equally important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he is napping, something else men do more often than women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a peaceful scenario Jenny, let's hope one of those cricketers don't hit it out of boundary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's not actually about catching anything, Just Being There in the quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine from school is a retired teacher who now acts as a fishing guide in northern New England. He often posts fishing photos on Facebook and I almost drool at how calm and peaceful it seems.

    ReplyDelete