|Carved eagle, Devere House, built in 1871 as an American and Chinese export warehouse. |
Now used by Bradford Chamber of Commerce.
Bradford Walking Tour 5
No walking tour of Bradford would be complete without a wander round the area known as Little Germany. It is so called because it was established in the second half of the 19th century by Jewish merchants, many of whom came from Germany. They built imposing warehouses for the storage and export of Bradford's woollen textiles. The market with Germany collapsed in 1877, causing difficult conditions.
|Imposing doorway of Albion House, now apartments|
The area contains many listed buildings and there have been attempts over recent years to conserve and improve it. Many of the warehouses have been converted to offices and residential apartments but, despite the efforts of the city council and developers, it seems to struggle and has a rather sad and neglected atmosphere.
|S L Behrens warehouse, built in 1873|