I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 22 June 2017

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Alan Troake and Suzanne Jackson

Just had the good fortune to spend a lovely, warm, sunny evening in Roberts Park watching a free open-air performance of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', this year's play from Shakespeare in the Park, Saltaire. This is the third year they have done a play, though the first I have managed to see. The story of how these performances came about is an interesting one - see here.

It was a delightful evening. The play is, of course, a light comedy about love, fairies and comical mistakes, with some engaging characters. The performance had a modern twist but was pretty faithful to the original dialogue. Being so deaf, I wasn't able to hear much of it really but I know the story from my schooldays so I could just about follow it. (I'm not sure if I've got all the cast correct...) I enjoyed it all very much. It's being repeated on 24/25 June and 9 July, if anyone local wants to catch it.


Puck (Suzanne Jackson) with Hermia (Sophia Leanne), one of the sleeping lovers.


Titania (Meg Hughes) falls in love with Bottom (Stephanie Hindle).


The Mechanicals perform their play for Theseus (Colin Pinks) and Hippolyta.


Pyramus (Stephanie Hindle) dies - amidst a great deal of tomato ketchup!

4 comments:

  1. I have seen this done here. There's a theatre company that does Shakespeare in the park in several parks through July and August. This play has been done some years ago.

    I remember years ago going to see Twelfth Night done in a park along the shore of Lake Ontario one evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete