I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 18 July 2017

The Flying Scotsman


During the summer there are sometimes steam-hauled train excursions that pass through Saltaire and I've tried, without much success, to photograph them before. When a neighbour tipped me off that the most famous steam locomotive of all - The Flying Scotsman - was coming, I was determined to capture it as best I could. So here you are!


After many adventures, including being the first steam engine officially to reach 100mph (in 1934), this lovely old locomotive, originally built in 1923, retired from regular service in 1963. It passed into private ownership and travelled in the USA, Canada and Australia, before being bought by the National Railway Museum in York in 2004. It has been thoroughly overhauled and rebuilt over the last ten years and is now allowed to run on our main rail lines. 

It is pulling excursions all over the country this year. This particular trip is billed as 'The Waverley Excursion', a day's journey from York to Carlisle and back. 


I got the shutter speed right... zoomed in, you can clearly read the name on the side. It is, however, really difficult to know where to stand for a good view locally, especially in summer when there's lots of vegetation along the lineside. I elected to wait in the one spot beside a bridge where I knew I could see down the line and have recognisably 'Saltaire' things (like the church tower) in the background. The overhead cables and gantrys for the usual electric trains rather spoil the view though.

6 comments:

  1. Difficult job well done, Jenny! You even manage to capture a lot of white smoke too which can also be tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trains capture our imagination and vintage trains are a real treat to see. Excellent job on capturing the images; I can almost hear the sounds the train makes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics, Jenny! I think I saw it at the museum in York. I will have to check my pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This famous LNER A3 Pacific Class steam locomotive was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley and built at the Doncaster Works in 1923. Alan Peglar took it to America where it bankrupted him. Sir William McAlpine paid the creditors and brought the loco back to Doncaster. Nigel Branson has also given financial help, and the National Heritage Fund a large sum for the major rebuild.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I clicked on your "train" keyword and enjoyed your train photos over the years. Lots of them. One called "Letting off Steam" from 5 - 6 years ago is terrific.

    ReplyDelete