I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 20 June 2009

Four lions


Four lions guard the Saltaire Institute (now The Victoria Hall). I believe they were part of an installation by sculptor T. Milnes, intended for Trafalgar Square in London but rejected. Sir Titus purchased them (cheap - he was a canny businessman!) for Saltaire. Their names are Vigilance, Determination, Peace (licking his paw) and War - though their name plates are almost faded away.

Actually, they're really hard to photograph well. They are on plinths well above head height. I should be brave/professional and go with a stepladder one day... except that I'd have to set it up in the middle of Victoria Road and would probably get run over. They all need a good clean too, being green with lichen.....green lion is not a good look. And poor old Vigilance is having a very tough job doing his duty, as he is almost completely shrouded in a tree now. Still doing his best to look snooty, though.


3 comments:

  1. I think you made a good job of photographing the lion guardians. The features really stand out in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - and how lovely to know you've looked at my new blog... its a brave adventure for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just linked back to this from the labels on today's blog (14.2.10). I was introduced to these guys on my first visit to Saltaire. The sculptor did a great job of capturing the name of each lion in its posture & expression and your photos are great. Did you ever go back with your step ladder?

    ReplyDelete