I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 24 May 2010

The band plays ...

Phew, it's been the hottest weekend of the year so far, with temperatures around 27°C. (OK, I know that's cool compared with the temperatures that some are acclimatised to - but the whole point is I'm NOT acclimatised! I haven't even had my sandals on yet this year!)

The sunshine happened to coincide with the grand opening of the restored Roberts Park in Saltaire on Saturday, providing a grand day out for hundreds of people. Most visitors were local - I bumped into lots of my friends and at least half of my church congregation!
Many people took picnics and the newly refurbished Half Moon Café was thronged and doing a roaring trade in drinks, ice creams and BBQ food - well done Wendy and Hazel!

The official opening was performed by the Lord Mayor of Bradford, Councillor John D Godward.
Afterwards The Hammonds Saltaire Band (see my blog of 28 December) christened the new bandstand, which replaces the original Victorian one that was demolished long ago. They played a specially commissioned fanfare, composed and conducted by Bradford composer Jonathan Brigg, before moving on to a lively selection of more traditional brass band pieces. (Oh, I do love a bit of brass band music!)

7 comments:

  1. I heard that Roberts Park had been re-opened and we were anticipating a blog post! I look forward to seeing the park minus orange tape :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic and nice !!Loved the post !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had such wonderful weather for the event. And I agree, there are few things that can beat a good brass band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun day! It has been 100 degrees (F) here for the past couple of days. It seems we had a very short spring and are now into summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun shot. It looks like so many people are having such a pleasant time. This just puts a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great "spots" of color all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is it with this unseasonably hot weather? We've had it here too, but I'll take it in favor of damp and rainy! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete