Saturday, 22 May 2010

Leo

Whilst I was in Skipton, I met up with some friends and we had a walk along the Springs Canal. This is a short branch attached to the main Leeds-Liverpool canal. It was built in 1797 by Lord Thanet, who lived in Skipton Castle, in order that limestone from the Yorkshire Dales could be brought down by a tramway to load onto barges. It's a quiet, pretty little canal these days (a far cry, I imagine, from its noisy heyday as a working canal). The path goes right behind the walls of Skipton Castle and then on up into Skipton Woods, which is a lovely green oasis full of birds and wildlife.

The narrowboat Leo, in my photo, does regular short trips up the Springs Branch and back to the canal basin - for £3 you can spend a very pleasant half hour watching the world drift past. The boatman is a neighbour of my friends - cue for a certain amount of waving and banter as the boat slid by!

6 comments:

  1. That is so pretty and oldy worldy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, a half hour cruise up the Springs Canal sounds perfect!
    When you have a moment to spare, you might like to take a look at my post for today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing that, who would need to go to Venezia?!..Ü

    ReplyDelete
  4. This photograph has a timeless quality to it. I would love to climb aboard this boat and slowly float down the canal. It would be a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

    The Photo Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so peaceful, and great place to take photos (as you did)!

    ReplyDelete

No WV here but I've enabled comment moderation on older posts so I don't miss any of your messages. I love reading them - thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog.