I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 15 June 2010

Lock mechanism

This is part of one of the lock gates at the Five Rise Locks in Bingley. It's the mechanism for raising one of the sluices at the bottom of the gate, through which the water passes to fill the lock chamber up (or to empty it into the next chamber down.)

For a simple, animated explanation of how a lock works,
click here. It's pretty cute.
And there's a slightly more technical but extremely fascinating account of exactly how the Bingley lock keepers work the staircase ("staircases without side ponds") and why the locks at Bingley are not very water-efficient compared with some others - click here.

8 comments:

  1. I bet you could spend quite a while there taking shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to see the animation, simple and clear!But I'm still admiring the one who had the idea to create this kind of mechanism!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite beautiful in a sculptural sort of way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love these shots. They really are my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great shot!

    Thank you for dropping by my son's blog. He was really chuffed to receive so many visitors and it's really nice that you left him a comment :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when photographers make art out of everyday old stufF!What a great capture. Thanks for visiting my Paris blog. Don't be too impressed. While i"m here the blog will go up when the mood hits me and the laptop!:)
    v

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm learning so much on this series of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a close shot of that, wouldn't want to get anything caught in those gears! Yikes! Enjoyed the animated version of how the lock works! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete