I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 14 February 2011

Letting off steam


It promised to be a sunny day on Saturday - and did eventually deliver!  So I decided to make the most of it and have a day out, hoping to get some photos.  I made up my mind to visit the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway (KWVR), which is a privately-owned, volunteer-run railway that connects the town of Keighley (about 7 miles up the Aire valley from Saltaire) with the villages of the Worth Valley including Haworth and Oxenhope.  Even on wintry days there is lots of photographic interest along the line.

Imagine my delight to discover that this wasn't just any old weekend but a Steam Gala Weekend on the KWVR. (That explains why there was a steam train passing through Saltaire the other day, obviously one of the 'guest' locomotives.)  The KWVR is a thriving line that operates a number of steam-hauled trains, and regularly holds special events.  Even though I'm not a real train buff, there is something really lovely about the whole thing and I always enjoy visiting and riding the trains.

The low winter sun and backlighting make this photo into a story, I think.  I'll leave you to imagine that wonderful hissing sound as the engine lets off some steam pressure.

26 comments:

  1. What a great shot Jenny.

    I'd have had a field day if I'd been there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous. I feel well over a century old! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you say, the picture tells it all! Incredibly talented photography, Jenny and transports one to a time long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like being in a Hercule Poirot movie!Beautyful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's just something about steam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great photo, it looks like it came out of an old movie. We both love trains and especially old train trips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful photo, the light the steam, everything is right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic, Jenny! It looks like an old photo or a movie scene. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We like this photo, I like it because the colors are nicely subdued, it is sharp, it gives the feel of a real portrait. I can't quite put my finger on why your photos are a big notch above other people's in quality, it must be because you have a good eye for composition, you are a gifted photographer indeed! Your natural talent shines! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous atmospheric shot. I love the Worth Valley railway. Its were they filmed one of my favourite films - Yanks. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I'm really impressed, Jenny!
    Exquisite picture!
    Great post title, too.

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love steam trains and this picturecaptures the essence of them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like your picture, very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing photo! I absolutely love the curve of the platform and the steam.

    ReplyDelete
  15. one more thing...Have you thought of selling your photos, Jenny? I can see them in a collection on a wall. And this one, in particular, is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is spectacular, Jenny. The steam stream is an eyecatcher, of course, but the perspective is interesting and the people on the right give scale and human interest. Terrific! Glad you enjoyed your outing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The shade of the shot suits the theme beautifully, Jenny, and I also like the people in the picture. You let off steam efficiently. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Classy steam shot - unbeatable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this shot! It feels timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of the shots I'd add to your coffee table book! Super! [Or you can print them all! http://blog2print.sharedbook.com/blogworld/printmyblog/index.html]

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE this! It's absolutely exquisite! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete