I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 15 September 2011

Guess where?


It's interesting, isn't it, how we all 'see' different things?  Take any two photographers and put them in the same place at the same time and, the chances are, each will interpret the scene quite differently.  I think that's half the fun of blogging, to see what others see through different eyes from our own.  I've a close friend who is not 'a photographer' but she is one of my greatest encouragers as regards this blog.  We were looking round the Festival at the weekend and it was she who pointed out this view, as we were descending the stairs in the Victoria Hall.  I hadn't particularly noticed it but now I look and see, it strikes me as very typical of Saltaire, and sort of endearing because of that.  It says 'home' to me.  I suppose in some senses it could be any one of a number of northern towns - or does it say 'Saltaire' (slate roofs, honey-coloured stone) to other people?  I'd be interested to know.

I haven't done anything to the photo apart from crop it slightly so it's odd to see how one pane of the old glass changes the colour of the sky.

18 comments:

  1. I only know Saltaire through your photographs - and this certainly does look different. If your friend is not a photographer then she should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It says Bradford to me - because it looks quite similar to the view from my Grandma's landing window. Well the colour scheme anyway. It's made me homesick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK here is a challenge for you. Let us pick, at random, some village which is within a given radius of Saltaire/ Brighouse : both make our way there independently and record what it says photographically to us. We co-ordinate the subsequent post and test out your theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As regards the change of colour in the top left hand window pane, Jenny, might it have been caused by the angle of the sun and the capturing of more cloud.... ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes a very interesting photo with the window frame framing the scene. I have often found that interesting how people see places differently. One of my daughters nicknames me Landscape Mum because I love landscapes. When she visits a place she nearly always has people in it. She feels people make the place and memories where as I remember scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the photograph, but it lies outside my experience. While we have the occasional slate roof, I've never seen them clustered like this. But I do like shots of and through windows (and open doors, covered bridges, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so very right. I often go out with a friend of mine who also is a photo blogger and our shots couldn't be more different. Lovely composition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the slates it could be anywhere "up North" but I'm looking at the brickwork of the chimney and that is not the deep red of Accrington brick but beyond that I couldn't pinpoint it more accurately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderfully composed picture Jenny. It looks completely different from anything where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan and Jenny, I'm eagerly anticipating the results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see a black box without any flowers in it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It says 'Hawes' to me. I love the slate and stone of northern England villages :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know your area, so I am not doing any guessing. But, the presence of all those TV antennas caught my attention. Over here, cable TV or sometimes satellite dishes are nearly universal, so antennas are becoming rare.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, what's up with the antennae? :) Still wondering, since even here we got rid of them quite a while ago. Cheers!

    ___
    call Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I didn't know it was Saltaire, I would at least know it was European. It's wonderful. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete