I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 21 September 2011

Kind hearts and coronets


The King and Queen of Hearts - larger-than-life storybook characters from 'Alice in Wonderland', bringing a bit of fun and goodwill to the Saltaire Festival.  There were a number of different characters wandering around, chatting to the children, posing for photos and indulging in a bit of impromptu theatre.  The next day these same two actors were striding around in tweeds as 'Lord and Lady Fetlock' (very clever to be be playing someone inebriated, on stilts!)  They are members of Shipley's Q20 Theatre Group, a local entertainment company run by John and Jacqui Lambert that seems to be going from strength to strength, with a huge repertoire of characters, including Pirates of the Caribbean and of course Harry Potter.   They provide entertainment all over the country at festivals, parties, corporate events and anywhere a little 'something different' is needed.

I'm always impressed by stilt-walkers. (I can't even balance standing on a chair!)  I was amused to note that The Queen had tiny pink wellington boots on her stilts.

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous photo, jennyfreckles. Happy, colourful, and entertaining.

    I used to walk on stilts when I was a kid. Not very tall stilts, it has to be said, but they were a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the White rabbit?! Ü

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photo ... and what a fascinating place it must be where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect use of vignetting - it does exactly what you want it to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those pink boots! What fun! But you couldn't get me up on those things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I have been in Oxford and visited the little Shop where Alice used to buy her sweets I think I have to read the book again ! I also had my breakfast in the College where parts of the Harry Potter films were made !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent, Jenny. Your processing adds to the fairyland effect. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent Five Star Photograph! Congratulations! I like the red white and blue colors contrasting with the subdued background!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous pair! There is so much talent in the area and you are diligently bringing it to our attention. Thank you.
    I love Alice in Wonderland and used several quotes from the book to start the chapters of my novel. Have you seen the lovely sculpture of Alice 'passing through' the looking glass in the grounds of Guildford Castle?
    Jane Gray

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like the effect around the edge of your shot Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before I read your post I was thinking they were awfully tall! Sounds like a fun event and looks like they go all out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a talent! And I love the costumes!

    ReplyDelete