I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 18 April 2015

Cottages


One of the reasons I like living in this part of Yorkshire is that the majority of the old houses are built of stone rather than brick. Those that have been stone-cleaned are a mellow honey colour. Others are still sooty black. But they have character. I'd like to know how old this little row of cottages is. They look like good, solid homes, plain and unpretentious. I'd like to bet they are at least as old as Saltaire and perhaps even older... early 19th century? Though they have quite a villagey feel about them, they are actually very near to the centre of Shipley, just along the road from the big Asda supermarket. Convenient, but not quite as picturesque a location as you might imagine from the photo. I could have obliterated the TV aerials but I chose not to. Plastic drainpipes, UPVC windows... but the end one has been very sympathetically treated, I think.

4 comments:

  1. They have a wonderful feel about them, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting seeing how your mind works. Very logical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like cottages ! I look at Barnaby on tv mostly to see Inside of such houses ! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd always thought of cottages as detached structures -- interesting to learn a different meaning. These are charming.

    ReplyDelete