I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 19 November 2015

Purple harvest


Another photo assignment for my online photography group .... vegetables. I'm not that fond of turnips; they're pretty tasteless on their own. I thought they'd make a good subject for a photo, though. I love the purple tones and adding the red onion seems to bring the colour out even more. I arranged them on brown paper but a texture layer gave a bit more depth. It gave me pleasure to make something so humble look quite rich.

Confusingly, 'neeps'  - a traditional vegetable in Scotland and the north of England - are actually not turnips at all but the larger, yellow-fleshed swedes. They make up the dish known as 'Haggis, Neeps and Tatties', commonly served on Burns Night in Scotland.

7 comments:

  1. You picked the perfect veg for your assignment Jenny, purple is a right royal rich colour. Wonderful composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like turnips myself either. But I do love your photography! :-)
    It's always a pleasure to visit your website and to watch your great work Jenny!

    Greetings from the Netherlands,
    Gert Jan
    www.gertjanhermus.nl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that beautiful....love the tones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot, Jenny! I love turnips! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely composition and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice composition and sharp as a tack.

    ReplyDelete