I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 28 November 2015

Sulphur Tufts


Before the frosts come (and they are late this year) the woodlands are full of fungi. These pretty little mushrooms remind me of some kind of fairy village, the stuff of childhood fantasy books perhaps. (I always loved 'The Magic Faraway Tree' by Enid Blyton.) In fact these are not so innocent and could cause a very nasty tummy upset and even paralysis, if you ate them. (As far as I can tell, anyway - I'm not an expert) they are Sulphur Tufts [Hypholoma fasciculare] whose purpose is to speed the decaying of old wood.

4 comments:

  1. They always add a little bit of magic to a damp, woodland walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Enid Blyton also Jenny she had a wonderful sense of whimsy. I agree with John, was that a pixie peeking out from behind the Sulphur Tufts :) good thing they're immune to poison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it a treat when our willingness to look more closely at the world around us is rewarded with another gem of creation?! I enjoyed your 30 days of thankfulness sharing Jenny - thank you. (Thank you too for visiting my blog again)

    ReplyDelete