I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 25 February 2012

Dizzy


First there was the London Eye and now many of Britain's cities seem to be following the trend for a "Big Wheel" visitor attraction.  Actually I've never been on the Eye (I will, one day) but when I saw the  Yorkshire Wheel in the gardens of York's 'Royal York Hotel', I decided to treat myself to a twirl.  Yes... even though it was windy and the capsules were swaying quite a lot!  They are enclosed, so I didn't fear I'd fall out.

Being so sunny and windy, it was a clear day and you could see for miles from the top of the ride.  York sits in a flat plain - the Vale of York - so that means the view goes on forever.  There was a commentary through speakers in the capsule, but being deaf I couldn't hear a word so I just had to guess what I was seeing.  The most noticeable far-away feature was a large power-station with huge cooling towers, which I took to be the huge one at Drax.  You get a lovely view of the Minster too, of course.

I had not realised til I was writing this blog and Googling as I go (!) that the Wheel is so new - it was only opened just before Christmas, though it replaced an earlier structure in the grounds of the National Railway Museum.

Pictures from up top tomorrow....

7 comments:

  1. Just the thought makes me feel squiffy, Jenny. No head for heights, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, we have such wheels, but cabins are .. open! I made a tour oncewhen I was young. I could not anymore today.I'm impatient to see your pictures from up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jenny what a pretty shot! I like that you can see how windy it is from the flags. I haven't been on one of those since I was a kid. Fun! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what fun. It is a neat idea and you get to see so much of the city. My son and his wife rode on one when they visited over there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful angle on the big wheel! I've been catching up on your posts about York, taking the virtual tour of the Minster. I've never been to York but it's top of the list should I ever return to the UK. Thank you for all these wonderful posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are brave. When my kids were younger I had to ride the ferris wheels with them. I don't like heights, so I had to grit my teeth and pretend that it didn't bother me. Now that they are grown up, I don't have to ride ferris wheels or roller coasters any more. Yay!!!

    Why the American flag?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be a great place to take photos from.

    ReplyDelete