I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 1 March 2012

College Street, York


This could almost be a rural village scene but in fact it's in the centre of York.  Tucked away behind the Minster is St William's College (below) a beautiful timber-framed building dating back to 1461.  It was built to house the Minster's Chantry priests (who were paid to chant masses for the souls of the dead) and is now the Minster's tea rooms and restaurant.  It is fronted by a little green with its sundial.  Behind is York's National Trust shop - a source of attractive gifts.  You can also see lots of bikes... York is a university city in a relatively flat area and as such is a popular place for cycling.


7 comments:

  1. 1461 that's Very old ..... But it has been well kept....and is very large for a single home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beauty and history so near. I am envious! Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a university town, it is surprisingly devoid of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this photo, as I've loved seeing all the great photos on your blog. My family is coming to Europe in June, and I've told them I want to see Saltaire! I don't know if we'll make it that far, but I'm so excited to see old buildings such as this one. We just don't have a whole lot of old buildings in America!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I would like to visit an honest to goodness tea room there! I just love imagining all the history in those ancient places. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful old old building.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my ancestors had a boot& shoe manufactury at 18 College Street in 1840. Must have been a lot less peaceful in those days.

    ReplyDelete